Wednesday, May 13, 2009

A Creative Collision

I'm lame, because I haven't posted something on my blog since May 2nd.

OR

I'm cool, because I've been spending time in the real world having face-to-face communication with physical people. It's all in how you look at it.

The problem is that since I stopped posting, I've started doing a bunch of creative things and have had no outlet for them. I got hooked on vector art after being introduced to it by Micah on his blog, I started recording tons of music with my new Micro BR Digital Recorder, I read The Shack and found a thousand things to quote/debate, I simultaneously started reading Hamlet and actually enjoyed it, and I found out that if I turned off the flash on my camera and spun around really fast I could create a swirling vortex of terror.

In addition, my mind was filled with thousands of thoughts from the deluge of consciousness and I had nowhere to display them. So I'm back. I've been busy the last two weeks, and my blog has fallen to the wayside, but here I am now. Get ready for a sensory overload.

Vector art is oodles of fun, and oodles really is a good word for it. The possibilities are literally (or, at least, virtually) endless. Here are some of my first attempts:

This would be a strange alien structure designed for intergalactic public relations. The silver grabber things field questions and the fake head on the front maintains a placid expression while the real head (green central dome) takes in the questions from the grabber things and computes appropriate lies for questions to which everyone already knows the answer. It then feeds the lies up to the fake head for transmission, while the articulated arms in the back hold reporters hostage while sending coded signals to the vice president out of view of the public. This apparatus was christened "Robert Gibbs" and has now been successfully accepted into Earth government.

My dad instantly dubbed this "modern art," and at first I was defensive, but he's right. It means nothing. I do think art should have meaning, but sometimes it's can just be fun. Besides, I'm sure if you work hard enough you can conjure up some kind of deep meaning within it. One giant red object is in the center of little objects of different colors that are inside of spirals. There's something for you to start with.


This always makes me think of mice. Not computer mice (although I do get that impression as well, for good reason), but the original mouse. I'm not sure why, but the overall impression is that those two red things are mouse. It probably has to do with the combination of the dashes and the squiggly tail-like line, but for whatever reason it is a game of mouse and mouse.

On this dead, mechanical planet, life is impossible. Perhaps at one point it was not, but now no souls may inhabit it and its machines are left to run down and eventually disintegrate. Shavings to shavings, sawdust to sawdust. In this universe, darkness dominates due to the black hole pictured in the upper left corner. Light functions as a shadow of darkness, visible only when an object gets in the way of the darkness to protect it. How twisted is that? Perhaps this is where Robert Gibbs' creators originated. As a note, the tree, although it looks organic, is actually a generator powering the gears that is sheathed in a brown synthetic material. My dad thought it would be cool (and perhaps redemptive) to create a negative (of sorts) of this image, so...


Yes, this the negative. Black is white and white is black. Vector art has turned me into an existentialist nihilist postmodernist. Micah!

More art later.

5 comments:

  1. I didn't like Hamlet. So there.

    The interesting thing about the first gear-tree picture, is that the shadow is white. Why is that? What does it mean? How does it relate to the black moon? [There is definitely meaning in vector art. Mostly. Sometimes. Occasionally.]

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh, pretty colors!

    Yeah, what's with the white shadow? It's like a physical representation of the antithesis of neoplatonism... was that intended?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I thought I explained that - white shadow is basically light "hiding" from the black hole, which is the antithesis of our sun, sucking in light instead of giving light. Can you explain how you think it relates to neoplatonism? I didn't quite make the connection.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Sorry if it wasn't clear - the "black moon" is a black hole. Maybe you didn't read the whole post. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hmmm...sucking in light rather than giving it out is interesting. It would make more sense to me, though, if the black moon shone out darkness. Thus portraying light as the absence of darkness (and explaining the white shadow). That would also make it more theologically incorrect, I think. :P

    "White shadow is basically light "hiding" from the black hole." Ah. I understand! A shadow is formed when light is shining, but something is blocking certain area from getting light, thus leaving it dark. And with a moon that takes in light, the shadow would be an area blocked from the light being taken away. I suppose that would assume that the world is naturally good and filled with light?

    (But...our sun "takes away" darkness, yet we never see darkness floating up towards the sun...darkness doesn't get sucked in, it just disappears because it's only the absence of light. I'm not sure what the logical implications of that are.)

    Good food for thought.

    ReplyDelete