Sunday, August 2, 2009

Et tu, Judas?




So the other night we performed Godspell at the Methodist Church in my hometown. The title of this post is a line that I thought of during the most serious part of the play, and I had spent the last four musical numbers building up emotion for the scene. Then suddenly this line comes to my head and the tiniest bit of mirth surfaces. I hate my mind sometimes. But I pushed it down right away. It would be the perfect line... if it wasn't supposed to be serious.

I prayed before the show, asking God to help make this my best possible portrayal of Jesus (in part because it would be my second-to-last time doing it). As far as I could tell, it was, but we can never please everyone, can we? My sister Sophie cried through the whole finale and afterward because she thought I had actually died. Even when I completely succeed, I feel horrible. Shucks.

Great stuff going down musically lately. heretoday performed at my friend's church, but that was yesterday. And today we're gone. We're talking about doing a Christmas show with lots of Relient K and Trans-Siberan, which should be fun. A few things went wrong, as they always do, but nothing horrible. The sub-par sound quality of the video hopefully disguises the fact that my amp inexplicably stopped working when I switched on the distortion. That's why you can see me playing during the bridge of "Hey" but all you can hear are drums. Emily started the piano solo two beats slow, but Charles saved it halfway through for us. We had a great time, though, and people worshipped. Hooray!

For some stupid reason, the video of the song that we performed virtually flawlessly was corrupted. Ah well. We did okay on this one.

3 comments:

  1. You do the chorus an octave down. I don't know if I like that. Charles sounds beastly on the drums, that's the first time I've heard him play.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Also, the kid right in front of the camera looks like Stephen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, you wouldn't like it if I did it in the correct octave. Trust me. I would have loved to change the key, but our pianist was playing with sheet music, so there we are. Yes, Charles is one of the beastliest drummers I know.

    ReplyDelete